FlightCar is a community of drivers: we all have to do our part to make it a safe and reliable service. This Overview is meant to help you to understand how Insurance at FlightCar works. It is not binding, so please read your Guest Policy or Local Policy for a complete and binding explanation of these policies.
- Guests are primarily responsible for any damage they cause to vehicles they rent.
- FlightCar provides coverage of up to $1,000,000 for damage by Guests to third parties.
- Guests and Locals must follow all FlightCar Policies in order for FlightCar benefits to apply.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions.
We cover all damage to your car or that your car causes except for normal wear and tear.
COVERAGE AND PROTECTION WE PROVIDE:
- LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR ACCIDENTS TO THIRD PARTIES: We provide primary liability coverage of $1,000,000 for bodily injury and property damage to third parties. This insurance has a $0 deductible and is primary, which means your personal insurance should never be involved.
- DAMAGES TO YOUR VEHICLE: We will do a full visual inspection of your vehicle at drop off and pick up including taking photos of the exterior of the car. All body damage must be reported to us before you pick up your vehicle and leave our facility and all mechanical damage must be reported to us within 72 hours of the end of your listing. If we determine that a guest was responsible for any damage you or we find, FlightCar will cover 100% of the reasonable costs, including insurance quality replacement components. Alternatively, if you choose not to repair the vehicle, we may settle for a mutually acceptable amount.
- TOTAL LOSS: In the event of non-recoverable theft or “total loss,” we will purchase your vehicle from you for 110% of the Kelley Blue Book (KBB) value (at time of drop off) of your vehicle. We may deem the vehicle a “total loss” if repair costs exceed 90% of the vehicle’s current KBB value. We always determine your vehicle’s value using KBB’s “very good” condition and “private party seller” classification.
COVERAGE WE DON'T PROVIDE:
- WEAR AND TEAR: We don’t cover certain small damages to the car that occur as wear and tear on your car. Wear and tear occurs during normal use of the vehicle, and includes, but is not limited to minor marrings on the car that are 3 inches or less. We also do not cover wear to parts like the antennae, hubcaps, tires or engines, unless there is evidence of a collision. In addition, we generally will not cover small impairments on the interior of the vehicle.
- ROUTINE MECHANICAL FAILURES: When you drop off your vehicle with FlightCar at our designated location, you warrant that the car is free from mechanical issues. Should an issue arise that is caused by routine use, FlightCar will return the vehicle to the drop-off location and you are responsible for repair or can reimburse FlightCar for repair costs.
- BELONGINGS: FlightCar cannot be held responsible for any personal belongings left in the car. It is your responsibility to protect your valuables.
- ON OUR LOT: As with any parking lot, FlightCar does not provide insurance coverage in the case that your vehicle is damaged from weather, natural disaster, Act of God, terrorism, war, violence, or any other occurrence reasonably outside of FlightCar’s control.
- DEPRECIATION / LOST VALUE: FlightCar does not insure against lost value or depreciation to your vehicle in case it is involved in an accident or otherwise sustains damage.
- EMOTIONAL OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES: There are things in life that can happen when traveling, like missing a flight or losing luggage. We do not cover these or any other consequential or emotional damages.
- LATE FEES: If you receive notice that a Guest incurred a toll or violation you must report it to us within 30 days of the violation date. We will not be able pay late fees resulting from later notification.
When you rent a FlightCar you are financially responsible (through your auto/credit card insurance or out-of-pocket) for all damages to the rental vehicle, unless you have purchased additional coverage from us. FlightCar also provides supplemental coverage, included free of charge with every rental, exclusively for damage to third parties. Note, that if an additional Authorized Driver is operating the vehicle at the time of an incident, claims must be filed with both insurance providers to determine which insurance policy applies.
COVERAGE YOU PROVIDE
- COLLISION AND COMPREHENSIVE: FlightCar does not provide any free collision or comprehensive coverage. Things happen, we get it. But this means that you are 100% responsible for any damage to any vehicle that you rent. Depending on your personal auto coverage, you may sometimes claim this from your insurance company, your credit card company, or the at-fault driver’s insurance company if you are not at-fault. You are held responsible for all damage occurring during the rental regardless of the cause or fault. This may include but is not limited to vehicular damage, personal property, bodily injury, pain and suffering, or any other consequential or emotional damages.
COVERAGE YOU MAY PURCHASE:
- DAMAGE WAIVERS: At the time of rental, you may purchase one of three collision damage waivers from FlightCar. (If you are under 25 or have a foreign license, you may be required to purchase a damage waiver.) A waiver will cover up to a specified amount of total damages depending on the level you purchase. You are responsible for any charges in excess of the coverage amount. Please note that any towing expenses are included in the coverage amount. The three FlightCar limited damage packages are:
- Basic package: FlightCar will cover the first $500 of any claims, and the guest is responsible for any charges in excess of that $500.
- Plus package: FlightCar will cover the first $1,000 of any claims, and the guest will be responsible for any charges in excess of that $1,000.
- Premium package: FlightCar will cover the first $2,500 of any claims, and the guest will be responsible for any charges in excess of that $2,500.
- ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE: You can separately purchase roadside assistance, which will cover towing, even if the vehicle is damaged or destroyed in an accident or incident.
COVERAGE WE PROVIDE
- SUPPLEMENTAL LIABILITY INSURANCE: We provide supplemental liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage to third parties caused by you while you are driving a FlightCar vehicle. This means that if you follow all the rules, and the car you are driving causes damage to a third person or their property, FlightCar will cover up to $1,000,000 of your liability, but only for third party damages and only if your primary coverage does not apply.
- Please note: FlightCar’s Insurance may be void if (1) you violate the Terms of Service or Guest Policy, (2) an unauthorized driver is operating the vehicle at the time of the accident, or (3) an authorized driver fails to file a claim with their company or misrepresents their personal auto coverage.
- UM+UIM / UNINSURED AND UNDERINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE: We provide the statutory minimum coverage (or none where allowable as dictated by laws of the state where the vehicle is registered). This coverage generally goes into effect when the Guest is injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, and the driver is unable to pay for the damages caused.
- PIP / PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION / FIRST PARTY BENEFIT / NO-FAULT: We provide the statutory minimum coverage as dictated by laws of the state where the vehicle is registered. This coverage generally covers medical expenses for the driver, passengers, and sometimes even to pedestrians.
- PRE-EXISTING MECHANICAL FAULTS: If a significant mechanical issue arises with the Vehicle during the rental, and a fault is diagnosed to be pre-existing through normal use, FlightCar will cover all authorized expenses directly related to towing, repair, and providing a replacement vehicle.
COVERAGE WE DON'T PROVIDE:
- THEFT, VANDALISM AND EXTRAORDINARY EVENTS: Unfortunately, we are unable to insure rentals against any theft of the car or any belongings inside the car or from vandalism (such as graffiti or broken windows) or Acts of God, terrorism, war, or violence. Please note that without your own insurance coverage you may be responsible for the full replacement cost of the vehicle.
- MEDICAL PAYMENTS / PAIN AND SUFFERING COVERAGE: FlightCar does not offer any additional coverage for medical payments or for any pain and suffering claims that may not be otherwise covered. Please check with your own personal insurance. FlightCar strongly recommends you maintain adequate personal health insurance.
- EXCESS WEAR AND TEAR: You are responsible for excessive wear and tear on a vehicle, as determined by FlightCar. If we determine you have caused excessive wear or damage due to abuse or neglect, you may be subject to penalties up to and including the entire repair cost of the damage caused. FlightCar will evaluate all claims of wear and abuse on a case-by-case basis.
- MECHANICAL DAMAGE: If you abuse a vehicle, operate it outside of its operational capabilities or limits, or fail to report pre-existing damage immediately and cause additional damage as a result, you will be held liable for all of the damage and repair costs, in addition to any costs incurred by FlightCar for towing, providing alternate/ replacement vehicles, compensation, and any other expenses.